Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Face Powders That Do Double Duty

In the last few years a lot of great cosmetic companies have been coming out with innovative face powders that double as foundation and cover-up!  I love the idea of not having to use foundation and still getting great coverage that makes my complexion smooth and flawless!

The first of these dual action powders that I tried was Benefit's "Hello Flawless!"  This powder comes in nine different shades (I used "never settle: fair petal) and can be used as a powder or cover-up.  One of my favorite things about this powder is that it also protects your skin from the sun with SPF 15!  The compact comes with a small brush and a sponge.  The brush give a light, sheer coverage, and the sponge is for applying as a cover-up or for full coverage all over.  Overall, I found this powder to be fairly light, but when using the sponge it felt a little heavier than I would normally prefer.  I also noticed that I had an increase in breakouts while using this powder.  One other negative is that this powder doesn't last as long as other powders I've tried, especially when using the sponge regularly.  Overall, it provided a nice, matte finish and made my skin very soft, but I would hesitate to spend $34 on this powder again.

Haute Lunch Rating: 3 out of 5 trays


Another two-in-one powder on the market is Lancome's Dual Finish Versatile Powder Makeup ($35.50).  This powder comes in a whopping 25 shades, making it possible for anyone to find the perfect color!  I purchased Matte Buff II, which matched my skin better than any powder I've tried before!  In this compact you get a sponge as well as a puff.  To use this makeup as a powder, the puff is used for a light, sheer coverage.  To use as a foundation, the sponge can be used dry for a sheer, soft matte effect, or damp for full coverage and a flawlessly matte finish!  I prefer to use the sponge dry, but have found that this powder works well no matter which way you apply it!  Unfortunately, there is no sun protection in this makeup, but I still love this powder because it is light, satiny soft, and blends perfectly into my skin.  It also has a sweet scent that I really enjoy.  This is definitely one of the best powders I have ever tried, and I highly recommend it, especially for you gals with oily skin!

Haute Lunch Rating: 5 out of 5 trays




If you have tried either of these powders, let me know how they worked for you!  I'm always happy to hear from you lovely ladies!

2 comments:

  1. i haven't used any of the powders that double as foundations, but that first one looks pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab reviews!

    xoxox,
    CC

    P.S. So glad you got your gift certificate and found some fun things to buy!

    ReplyDelete