Monday, February 21, 2011

Blemish Busters and Acne Attackers!

Waking up to a blemish can really put a damper on your day.  Waking up to several blemishes is even worse! Luckily there are several options to help keep your skin bump free and absolutely radiant!  To start, there is the acne system that everyone has heard of: Proactiv.

Proactiv Acne Solution has been around for over 15 years and is definitely a good option for people with troublesome acne.  The 3-step system quickly clears up existing blemishes, prevents new blemishes from forming, and helps lighten scars and red spots.  I used Proactiv for nearly 5 years and was really happy with the results until recently. As I got older I found that the products began drying out my skin and thus I had to change my skincare routine.  If you have sensitive or dry skin, Proactiv may not be for you, but if you have serious acne issues, it's definitely worth a shot!  The starter kit is available for just $20.

Haute Lunch Rating: 4 out of 5 trays

Currently I'm using Philosophy's Makeup Optional for Congested Skin Kit.  So far, I'm really in love with all the items in this set.  Purity Made Simple is a creamy face wash that is gentle but highly effective.  I haven't had any drying so far, and my skin doesn't feel tight afterwards.  After cleansing, I use Hope in a Bottle, which is the real acne fighting agent in this kit.  This oil-free moisturizer is made with salicylic acid and helps reduce the size of pores and control oil production.  I finish up my routine with When Hope is not Enough and Hope in a Tube, which help eliminate fine lines and restore radiance to skin.  I really love this kit because it keeps my skin blemish free while also providing great anti-aging benefits.  I have definitely noticed that my skin is more radiant and showing less signs of aging than it was a few weeks ago when I first started using this kit. Philosophy also has kits available for normal and dry/sensitive skin if you don't have much of an acne problem.  It's definitely a better value to buy the kit instead of the individual items ($78 vs. $129), but keep an eye out for sale as you can find this kit even cheaper if you shop around.

Haute Lunch Rating: 4.5 out of 5 trays

Too late for prevention?  Time for some spot control!  Kate Somerville's EradiKate Acne Treatment is an excellent sulfur spot treatment that drys out blemishes overnight.  This solution contains the highest amount of sulfur allowed, so it should only be used once a day.  I typically use it at night after I've washed my face anywhere I feel a blemish coming on.  The sooner you apply it, the better it works.  Unfortunately, it costs $22 per 1oz. bottle.  Luckily there are other cheaper options out there, such as Mario Badescu's Drying Lotion ($17) or Bye Bye Blemish Drying Drying Lotion ($11).  These alternatives are essentially the same thing as EradiKate, thus I can't give this product a rave review.

Haute Lunch Rating: 3 out of 5 trays




Have you had good luck with an acne treatment (or really bad luck)?  I'd love to hear about your most and least favorite products.  Leave a comment below and share your experiences!

3 comments:

  1. Very informative. I sometimes use proactiv and find that it works pretty well. But still looking for the perfect product :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I'm always looking for the Holy Grail of skincare, too! If you find it before me, let me know! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister used Practiv and it cleared her right up!

    ReplyDelete