Everyone has bad habits. However, we don't always realize what we're doing is bad. Below is a list of seven habits many of do without thinking. These bad habits can advance the signs of aging, making us look older than we really are.
1. Not wearing sunglasses. Though we may remember to put on our SPF15 before we step outside, we often forget about wearing our sunglasses (especially during the winter). While you may avoid wrinkles caused by sun damage, a bright, sunny day still causes us to squint, resulting is wrinkles around the eyes and forehead. Be sure to grab a pair of gorgeous glasses (like these Dolce & Gabbana sunglasses) before stepping out the door.
2. Rubbing your eyes. Rubbing your eyes stretches the delicate skin around them and causes wrinkles to form. If you feel compelled to rub, try using some eye drops to help soothe your eyes. If you really have a problem with itchy eyes, go see your doctor to get tested for allergies.
3. Squinting, frowning, and pursing your lips. Frequent facial expressions can lead to the permanent setting of winkles. Pursing of the lips is why a lot of smokers have wrinkles around their mouth (P.S. constantly drinking out of a straw can also cause lines around the lips). However, non-smokers are also susceptible. We most often make these types of expressions when we're upset or stressed, so try to relax!
4. Resting your face in your hands. Just like making repetitive facial expressions, resting your face in your hands can cause the skin around your chin and mouth to become loose and wrinkled. If you spend a long enough time resting your jaw on your hands, this can also lead to other problems, such as crooked teeth!
5. Not drinking enough water. If you're not drinking at least 64 fluid ounces of water per day (the equivalent of 4 standard bottles), then you're not drinking enough. Dehydration leads to a whole host of problems, but it can also cause skin to lose it's elasticity and radiance. Water helps keep the skin soft and supple. If you have trouble drinking enough water, invest in a reusable bottle that you can carry around with you during the day.
6. Not getting enough sleep. Nobody wants to be sleep deprived, but many of us are. The amount of sleep needed varies from one person to another, though most adults need somewhere between 7 and 8.5 hours per night. Without adequate sleep, skin can become dull and saggy. Making sure to rack up those zzz's is the easiest way to keep your skin looking young and radiant!
7. Sleeping on your side or stomach. Unfortunately, even when you're sleeping you could be doing damage to your gorgeous face. When you sleep on your side or stomach, your face sinks into the pillow, causing lines to form. If you continue to sleep the same way most nights, these lines will eventually become permanent. The best way to sleep is on your back, that way there is no pressure on your face throughout the night.
Of these seven habits, I know I'm particularly guilty of 1, 6, and 7. Which of these habits do you have? Hopefully we can all work on avoiding these so we can stay young looking for many years to come!