|Flashing some leg at a friend's wedding. My legs are the second from the left.|
- Leg Press - If you've never done this exercise before, do not add any weight to the machine to start. Also, push with your heels to really work your butt and hamstrings!
- Leg Extensions - Make sure to adjust the chair so the inside of your knees is pressed against seat. This will stabilize your legs and prevent knee injuries.
- Hamstring Curl - If you are feeling a burn in your calves, try lifting your toes towards the ceiling- this will stabilize your lower legs and help you target your hammies!
- Wall Sits - I recommend doing longer sets than what is specified in the tutorial (try working your way up to 3 sets of 60 seconds each)!
- Cable Abduction - If you have trouble keeping your hips facing forward when doing these, try lowering the weight.
- Lunges - Try to lower your knee until it nearly touches the ground before raising back up. This will give you the best results.
- Calf Raises - You do not need the machine shown in this tutorial- you can simply do this exercise on a stair or aerobic step. Another benefit of calf raises is that they will help you walk in heels with ease.
Keep in mind, you don't have to lift a ton of weight to see results, but you should always be challenging yourself. Doing these exercises correctly is the most important thing. This will help you avoid injury while providing the greatest benefit to your muscles! When first attempting exercises involving machines, start with little to no weight until you feel comfortable with the motion. Once you feel ready, add weight until it is fairly difficult, but not painful to complete each set. If you do these exercises a few times each week, you will have longer looking, stronger, sexier legs by summer!
If you have any other tips or questions about leg exercises, I'd love to hear them! Leave a comment below and let me know what's on your mind!