Thursday, July 14, 2011

Six Tips for Tangle Free Hair

Hello Gorgeous! Today I'm heading into the salon for a deep conditioning treatment, which will hopefully help prevent my hair from breaking and tangling. Thanks to my baby fine hair, I have struggled with tangles my entire life. While this is definitely not desirable, it has forced me to become quite knowledgeable about tangle prevention. Of course, you could always give salon treatments a try (like I'm doing today), but here are six tips you can use at home to keep your hair healthy, shiny, and tangle free!


Photo Courtesy of RealBeauty.com
  1. Brush or comb your hair before washing so you don't start with a tangled mess.
  2. After applying conditioner to your hair, comb out any tangles with a wide tooth comb and leave conditioner in for at least 2-3 minutes.
  3. Always spray on a leave-in conditioner while hair is still damp. After applying, comb your hair with a wide tooth comb once again, then style as usual.
  4. Use a deep conditioner 2-3 times per week to keep hair moisturized and smooth (I reviewed two excellent choices in this post). This will help prevent tangles from forming in the first place.
  5. Hair oils, such as argan oil, can also help protect hair from heat damage, making it more manageable and tangle-free (I mention a personal favorite here).
  6. If you end up with a tangle or knot in your hair, the worst thing you could do is try to brush through it. Instead, use a wide tooth comb or pick to gently pick the hair until the tangle comes loose.
So, do you have hair that likes to tangle like mine does? Have you ever tried a salon deep conditioning treatment before? This will be the first time I've ever had one, but I decided to give it a try since my hair has been extra tangly lately. Plus, a deep conditioning treatment only costs $17 at the Paul Mitchell school nearby, so I won't feel too horrible if it doesn't help much. I'll update you all with the results tomorrow! 

6 comments:

  1. I haven't tried deep conditioning before but would be curious about them so let us know how it goes.

    A great conditioner definitely goes a long way with detangling hair!

    xoxo,
    Chic 'n Cheap Living

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always wondered if those deep conditioning treatments were worth it. Good tip about getting out a giant knot. I usually get frustrated and end up pulling out half my hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, I have to comb through mine with the conditioner if I want it to be tangle free at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hair is super thick, and now that I am growing it out, it tangles like WHOA. I love my long hair, but at least short hair doesn't tangle as much. I couldn't live without my deep conditioning treatments. They really revitalize my hair!

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous tips, darling ~ thanks!

    xoxox,
    CC

    ReplyDelete
  6. My hair doesn't really tangle but its super dry and very processed from the rainbow of colors that I have played with... I buy those one use deep conditioning packets at Sally's Beauty for about a dollar, I usually get a different one each time, but they definitely improve the texture and look of my hair.

    xo Teresa
    www.teresalifeandstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete